As we geared up for Crypto Giving Tuesday, our biggest crypto fundraising day of the year, we wondered how it would go. With about ten times more nonprofits participating this year than in 2020, we had hoped for more donations. But with the world still in the midst of a global pandemic and many cryptos experiencing a slight pullback recently, we were prepared for anything. In the end, we were thrilled with the outcome! Over the course of the day, donors gave more than $2.4M in crypto to nonprofits—shattering last year’s record with 583% year-on-year growth.
You may already know that Crypto Giving Tuesday kicked off Bag Season, our year-end fundraising campaign. A successful Crypto Giving Tuesday is a great sign for the next 31 days. Here are some key stats from yesterday:
Crypto Giving Tuesday 2021 Stats
Total amount donated: $2.4M (a 583% increase from Crypto Giving Tuesday 2020)
Average donation size: 12,600 (a 20% increase from the average crypto donation in 2021)
# of participating nonprofits: 1,017 (up 839% from Crypto Giving Tuesday 2020)
Total donation volume by crypto (top 5):
|Crypto Rank||Amount Donated (USD)|
|1. Ethereum (ETH)||$1,212,687.98|
|2. Bitcoin (BTC)||$885,504.55|
|3. USD Coin (USDC)||$294,431.24|
|4. Uniswap (UNI)||$8,974.11|
|5. Tezos (XTZ)||$5,160.80|
Highlights from Crypto Giving Tuesday
In terms of crypto raised, we set the bar high for next year. But as the movie cliche goes, “maybe the real treasure was the friends we made along the way.”
Here are a few highlights that made yesterday historic in our eyes:
Partnerships Activated & Pledgers Revealed
- The moderator of subreddit r/Bitcoin generously offered to match BTC donations (up to 12 BTC)
- Companies like Zengo, GSR, ZenLedger, Abra, and RoundlyX announced their participation in Crypto Giving Tuesday and the Bag Season campaign
- Several individuals announced that they have taken The Crypto Giving Pledge, including Dan Hannum, Rick Bakas, and Dan Matuszewski.
The Flippening Happened
The historic moment that so many have predicted finally happened, if only for a day. Around 1:45 PM EST, Ether overtook Bitcoin for the first-place spot in total donation volume. (We had a leaderboard updating live throughout the day.)
By the end of the day, Ethereum remained on top of the leaderboard, with more than $1.2M worth of ETH donated.
Press Coverage and Live Events
Visibility for crypto philanthropy was at an all-time high.
- The hashtag #CryptoGivingTuesday was so active we could hardly keep up with all the activity, from nonprofits sharing their impact to donors tweeting screenshots of their tax receipts
- News outlets like Bitcoin Magazine, CNBC and CoinDesk covered Crypto Giving Tuesday, and Cheddar re-aired a recent segment with our Co-Founders Alex Wilson and Pat Duffy
- Sotheby’s hosted an NFT auction in support of Sostento, a nonprofit that helps to solve frontline public health workers toughest challenges
- In the evening, Jack Butcher participated in a Twitter Spaces event to discuss his recent success with NFT Philanthropy where he raised $200k to support CARE, a humanitarian nonprofit organization
It’s been an incredible week…and it’s only Wednesday! The outpouring of generosity on Crypto Giving Tuesday has all of us inspired and energized.
More to Come
This year, over 1,000 nonprofit organizations are participating in our Bag Season fundraising campaign. To help them make the most of the opportunity, we prepared them through webinar training sessions, and provided fundraising resources like social media kits. With a greater focus on crypto philanthropy thanks to Crypto Giving Tuesday, we’re even closer to surpassing our goal of processing $100M in donations this year.
“If we pull this off, it becomes undeniable that crypto is one of the most powerful forces for good on the planet. We’re well on our way,” said Pat Duffy, Co-Founder of The Giving Block.
For now, Crypto Giving Tuesday may be over, but Bag Season is just getting started. We’re looking ahead, excited about what’s in store over the next few weeks. The fun continues next week on Tuesday, December 7, with NFTuesday, a one-day celebration of NFT philanthropy.
Stay tuned for more fun surprises, big announcements, and what’s sure to be an incredible show of generosity from the crypto community.